Sunday 27 July 2014

SLA 3D Printer Project Log 10: It's Extrusive!

Aluminium Extrusions...  How could I have missed you so?  Such a simple way to build up frames, especially for prototypes; here I was about to spend £400 on laser cutting plywood into a rigid frame, as well as £160 for 3D Printed parts!

Advertising my stupidity is a good way to begin a post, no?  Just to prove the opposite, I'll divulge to you what I've got in mind thus far:

A fairly basic crate :)
As can probably be seen in this image alone, Aluminium Extrusions are essentially the Lego of the garage hacker, allowing rapid construction of non-standard frames and sub-assemblies by way of nuts which fit into grooves in aluminium bars, with bolts then holding it all together.  Compared to the previous laser-cut plywood design...  Actually, why not invoke an excuse to use bullet points rather than actually write?

Goods

  • Rapid addition of any newly-required features
  • The Projector Crane can be an integral part of the frame for additional strength
  • Plywood parts can be cut by hand - superb precision is no longer needed since it is automatically attained by a precision-manufactured metal framework

Bads

  • If a casing is used (as you can see, it is), you may have trouble upgrading to a bigger projector
  • Design is largely limited to right-angles
Not much on the bad side, eh?  Pity it's far from finished - the build-bed requires extensive re-working since I plan to only use laser-cutting for the Resin Basin (this part needs to be made so well you'd think I cast it whole) and I need to model all the brackets I'll need to assemble this thing.  All in all, not bad for a rediscovery made possible by a discussion with a colleague at work :)

Until we meet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment