Sunday 11 January 2015

SLA 3D Printer Project Log 11.5: I hope paint don't watch me dry...

A quick update of the progress of my Printer:
  • Tallied up the parts needed and found I still had a great many detail parts to account for; frustrating, no?
  • Also need to get the Resin Basin lased - Is there some kind of standard way to mark a part of a drawing to indicate that it's scrap?  That would save the end user having to adjust for various laser cutters as he shops around the suppliers.
I managed to run a test using spray paint on the RAMPS mount, it's just standard DIY spray paint from Wickes (Satin White, looks glossier than I had imagined, then again I really ought to use primer):
Not too bad, but still got a lot to learn about spray painting.

It seems my overzealous application has soaked into the wood - a good start to preventing water ingress, but probably indicates that the two 400ml cans I bought will run out before the job is done.

I began the experiment with a teaspoon-full of tap water in the centre of the painted face:
It's being supported on top, a good start!
The reason I want to paint the panels is simple - I may not have the luxury of storing this printer in my house, which means it must either be placed in a garden shed or in storage, neither of which can be guaranteed to be completely dry.  Upon examining the part 1 hour and 30 mins later (3x the duration I had planned!), I was quite pleased to see this:
Same size, same shape - no water ingress!
As for constructing the frame itself, I plan to have assembled the Z Carriage, External Panels and Resin Basin before I dive into it, since their dimensions cannot be certain until they are fully assembled; using thread-lock is a must with the frame (it bears the weight, and we *cannot* allow the projector to be vibrated out of alignment), and I'd rather make things fit before the thread-lock sets.

Stay Experimental.

No comments:

Post a Comment