Tuesday 1 April 2014

SLA 3D Printer Project Log 4: A projector mount with traversing features, potential as a garden railway traverse table?

Aside from experiments in salt, I have been working on a mounting method for my projector; one which offers versatility both in terms of adjusting projector distance to vary the build area/resolution balance and also to make way for projector upgrades.  Given that I am building a top-down design this is no easy task considering that gravity threatens to either collapse my construction or slowly inch the projector down and out of focus.  So far, this is my design which as of yet only features the vertical axis:
Looks very Reprappish, and that's because it is :D
I am keeping to Reprap parts as much as possible since every 3D printing enthusiast and their Budgie has a Prusa Mendel of some kind, so relevant parts will be cheaper; the central rod is a M8 threaded rod and the other two are 8mm plain steel rods for support and guidance, SCS8UU bearings are used throughout due to their cast metal housing and built-in M4 threads.  Another thing to note is that the Traverse Plate (highlighted in green) is not what will carry the projector - I intend to make another plate bespoke to the mounting requirements of my projector and users can make bespoke mounting plates for their respective projectors.
The bearings for the horizontal guide rods can clearly be seen.
The Backplate may look a bit skeletal for some, but this is made out of 12mm plywood; 6mm plywood may be used to allow for simplification of manufacture with other parts like the Traverse Plate, with 12mm parts made of two 6mm parts epoxied together (this also allows for half-engraved features without half-engraving, which could bring potential de-lamination issues to a single 12mm sheet).  The large amount of space also allows for a high degree of nesting to occur, saving material and space on the laser bed.
Trusses added for stylistic reasons ;)
This is the mounting cross for the Traverse Plate, where the plate interacts with the M8 rod to allow the plate to move vertically; this is done via two M8 nuts located in slots (just visible above), of which one or both may be a nylock nut to provide friction when traversing is not required.  This is made from a 12mm (or 2 x 6mm) plywood cross which interfaces with a 3D printed nut mount to create the mounting cross.
Reprap inspiration is found again...
Finally, we have the clasps for the plain steel rods that guide the Traverse Plate.  Not much to mention here other than it's 3D printed, I've decided to use Shapeways for my prints since it's WSF printers offer almost infinite flexibility in the shape of my objects within reason and my Reprap is giving me constant trouble right now, so much for saving money by printing at home :(

Good news is that design should be straightforward from here, since I only need to replicate the parts I have made here in the horizontal axis with a few minor tweaks.  Pity this is only one of five sub-assemblies I am slated to design (Projector Mount, Resin Basin, Z axis with build plate, the Mounting Frame and the Case).

No comments:

Post a Comment