Saturday 26 April 2014

SLA 3D Printer Project Log 6: The Up of Sketch

Creo Elements Direct is fantastic, it's similarity to Pro/Engineer and Solidworks make it an instant transition for someone in the CAD industry that's used something less archaic than AutoCAD and it basically operates on an Additive/Subtractive modelling principle rather than vertices and points like the free version of Sketchup (Sketchup Pro has Solid Tools which afford the same functionality, but costs $590 or ~£350 at time of writing).  Model Railway wagons are a no-brainer using this method given how many rivets and tumblehomes and other assorted chamfers and blends make it impossible to attain high resolutions under Sketchup.

However, It's use as a design tool for machinery like the SLA 3D Printer Project and the Reprap is severely curtailed by it's lack of visualisation features and it's very modelling system:
Initial design for the Resin Basin, made from 12mm Cast Acrylic.
As can be seen, it's a grey box with a flange, not even remotely looking like the clear acrylic intended for the production model; I also wanted to raise the flange to a level where the top of the flange will be at resin level, allowing me to make a 12mm Calibration Sheet to place in the mount to calibrate the projector - in Sketchup, this is as simple as selecting all faces you want moved, then raising them to the required level, whereas Creo will need you to delete the part, raise the hole locations on the workplanes (all four of them in this case) and then re-extrude the parts.

With this in mind, I have transferred all the geometry to Sketchup by way of drawing them again (I dread having to do this for a locomotive...), and I've made further progress by constructing a prototype for the Print Bed:
I say prototype because I seem to have blocked off the bed to the projector o.O
That's the spot!  Now we can make out which bits are Plywood, which are Acrylic and which are 3D Printed.  I know I ought to have taken the projector into account seeing as it is the most vital part of the machine, but that's okay because it's an iterative process, CAD; furthermore, it is far easier to amend a model than a drawing, which I should know given how small I like to make my concept drawings.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment