Saturday 3 May 2014

SLA 3D Printer Project Log 7: Underframes? Thought I did those in Creo...

I've been working on underframes, I know, it's a bit soon to resume work on the wagons but I'm on about the mounting system for my 3D printer; until now I had components floating in space - not an ideal proposition for accuracy.  That has now been fixed, and I was in for some wake-up calls.

Don't worry, there'll be 10mm bolts holding the basin in place.
The dimensions were envisioned as a worst-case scenario of 1m3, which would give me plenty of wiggle room to add insane features like gull-wing doors and water-cooling for the built-in pc, but the dimensions as they stand now are 412mm x 380mm x 626mm.  I reckon I can now aim for a desktop model, and this means a few changes:

  • I'll probably ditch the case, and just use a black cover when not in use to prevent the resin from curing - this will probably save me a lot of bother when maintaining my printer.
  • A Mini-ITX PC is essential - I can no longer use the bulk of the unit to house an ATX motherboard.
  • Get more sensible with the design - I (and possibly you) am going to use this printer frequently, I need something serviceable.
  • Mounting the touchscreen just got a lot harder...

A few ancillary developments have happened in my life recently; I've got a new job at a composite manufacturer running cure checks for them, and one of the things I observed is that the Autoclaves run standard PCs alongside their massive built-in computers to run the UI; maybe I shouldn't follow the leader, so to say, but it gives me reassurance that my plan to use an x86 PC to control this thing isn't insane after all.

As much promise as the Pi had, I am not a coder, and Raspbian didn't run how you'd call slick (Risc OS did, but it doesn't support wireless internet which makes things a hell of a lot harder these days); if I'm going to use it everyday, which I may do for a few weeks of each quarter, I'd prefer a rapid system as well as one which has a GUI.

I intend to install Windows 7 Basic to run Creation Workshop by PacManFan, a program which can slice the STLs as well as operate the printer with the help of RAMPS board.  This program uses little CPU power, so the Pentium E2160 I possess can be used (I bought it for a secondary gaming rig, to use whilst home from University), but it does use a lot of GPU power in it's Model View, which runs on OpenGL; I bring up OpenGL because it means that Workstation Cards, designed largely for OpenGL-accelerated CAD programs, could give stellar performance.

I'll expand upon this further when the time comes, I'm getting tired in one of my few windows of time I have to do CAD and blog, in spite of the much-needed money.

Regards.

No comments:

Post a Comment